Wednesday 19 August 2015

TFW: Books I Love That Everyone Else Hates

Welcome to another Top Five Wednesday! Fun fact, I was having difficulty thinking up things to write about for top five and turns out, Goodreads has a whole group dedicated to this. I knew it was quite a popular thing in the booktube community, but I didn't know it was by that much. 

Anyway, the one that stood out to be the most (mostly because there's so many options to choose from) was the top five books I really liked or loved that everyone else didn't like so much or straight up hated. Let's get started!

(in no particular order)

One. 

It's not a book but a 'series'/trilogy that a lot lot LOT of people really didn't like, and even though I read this when I was about sixteen years old, my memory can't pick up anything I would dislike if I had read it freshly today and that is "The Maze Runner"/"The Scorch Trials"/"The Death Cure" and of course "Kill Order" (even though that is the prequel and technically not part of the trilogy, but I count it because it includes important information on how the Flare virus had come about). It was fast paced, action-packed, little romance, great characters - and the women were portrayed as strong people, even if they didn't show Lana (I think was her name) very much. It was a great series/trilogy from what I can remember, and I wish everyone felt the same way about it as I did. 

Two. 

This wasn't really a hated or strongly disliked book, but the mutual rating among most people for this novel was three stars, and I think I gave it four (the highest rating I could give it, five is reserved for books that really did something for me) , and that is "The Twins" by Saskia Sarginson. This book is about two twins, obviously, one who has anorexia and the other is a successful business woman.  They grew up in the woods with their mother who didn't believe in discipline, but one day something awful happens that they still can't shake of and they want to go back to the past to try and make peace within themselves and to help one of the twins with anorexia. It's kind of slow in parts, but please don't let that put you off!

Three. 

Another series I'm going to go with here. I'm finding more and more people who are a fan of this series by the day who were ashamed of it because of the 'controlling boyfriend' aspect throughout it but I think well, he's a vampire, so the rules are going to be different for him although I can completely see why a teenager would read it and think that was acceptable behaviour for a human boyfriend (it isn't). You've probably already guessed what that series is, and that is indeed the "Twilight" series by Stephanie Meyer. I read them as a kid, loved them. Watched the movies, loved them. They have great memories in them with some old friends I don't talk to anymore. It was just a really good series. 

Four. 

This one only counts for the first book, as the other two books in the series I did not enjoy very well - actually, I didn't even bother trying to get through the last book, I got halfway and DNF'd, but the first book was entertaining and I liked it, I liked it a lot, and that is "Divergent" by Veronica Roth. I found Tris to be the kind of person who would make the decisions I would make in her situation (apart from her acknowledging the people who bully her are in the next room but she walked in their in a towel anyway, now that was stupid, she should have just waited). A lot of teenagers don't make smart decisions. Not a huge fan of Roth's writing style, but I did really enjoy this book at least - I think Veronica Roth is more suited to standalones then she is to series and trilogys, if I'm being honest here.

Five. 

I guess I'm going to pick "My Sister's Keeper" by Jodi Picoult for this, even though I didn't really love it, I just like it a lot more then most people seem to do (and I can completely understand why, honestly). I don't know, I just really like Anna, I think she's a really cool character.

Thank you ever so much for reading, I hope you enjoyed. what are your top five books? See you tomorrow, Loz x 

No comments:

Post a Comment