Friday 28 August 2015

Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets #1 - Dobby the House-Elf.

Hi, I'm finally back with another Harry Potter book and update posts! This time, I will really need to update every few chapters to keep my thoughts on the book written down. I kept forgetting to do it what with all the other posts I was trying to get done, but what with my posting-everyday-in-August coming to an end really soon, I think I'll try to be posting one of these every few days! And it's not really much of a marathon, is it? 

Anyway, I'm up to chapter four, I believe, and we have just been introduced to Dobby. I want to say what my first impressions of him are, and I would love to know what you thought about him. I actually didn't really like him. I felt pity for him, what with the description of him being ugly and in dirty clothes and having a horrible family to keep him, but I mostly just felt mad at him for doing that to Harry. On the assumption that he is an eavesdropping type of Elf (otherwise how would he have known Harry would be in danger that year?), he must have known all about Harry's situation, too? At least once he did find out, he should have put a stop to it. I mean, he seems to really care about Harry's safety so what he did with the cake and the making noise seemed a dumb thing to do on his part in terms of keeping Harry safe. 

He also seemed very invasive of Harry's life, like he had a right to keep hold of Harry's letters and make him stay away from Hogwarts.

Of course, my fondness for him grew over time but I can't remember if that happened in this book or the later books. We'll soon find out!

What was your first impression of Dobby?

- Loz x

No comments:

Post a Comment