Wednesday 5 August 2015

COQ: Anne Frank: What Journalling Means To Us.

From the Puffin Books edition published in 2002. 
Page 1. 

"I hope I will be able to confide everything to you, as I never been able to confide in anyone, and I hope you will be a great source of comfort and support"
Comment added by Anne on 28th September 1942: 
"So far you truly have been a great source of comfort to me, and so has Kitty, whom I now write to regularly. This way of keeping a diary is much nicer, and now I can hardly wait for those moments when I'm able to write in you."
A comment I added to the quote with a post-it note: 
 "I feel as though Anne here understands here at an age many would struggle to understand what a journal can be and is for a person. A friend, and is not just a diary, but a support system. What would we do without them?"

Aye, today's quote that I want to talk about is what Anne says about her journal in the first sentence! Of course, I am assuming you have read her diary and you know how far this diary really did support her. It was her rock. She didn't write in it quite as often as you'd expect her to, but this is realistic...writing everyday while staying on top of your daily activities can be quite difficult to achieve (yet is something I never stop trying to accomplish).  

I've had many diaries/journals over the years but the only one's I have kept are from when I was fourteen going on fifteen onwards. I'm almost nineteen now, so...it really isn't that long dated back. I urge everyone who keeps a journal to never throw it away, never think that it's rubbish! You may regret that in future. The ones that I can remember the most is a pretty, slim, glittery/purple journal that I got free in a magazine when I was very young. It had a key and a lock, with plain thin pages, and I dedicated this to my "travelling". If you didn't know, my parents are divorced and I spend a majority of time with my mother and my mothers' side of the family in Wales but once or twice a year I will go to England to see my father and his side of the family. It's only a four hour journey, but I liked to write a page or two on what we got up to the day - which would have actually been quite fun to read over. We spent a lot of time in the Trafford Centre and going to parks.

The second journal I can remember having was from a Disney store in the Trafford Centre, from when my parents were still married and we still lived in England. Me and my sister were allowed to pick out one thing. I picked out a pretty princess diary. It was pink and covered with fluffy fur. I can't remember which princess it was, it might have been The Little Mermaid (even though Belle from Beauty and the Beast will always be my favourite). This one is the diary I regret throwing away the most because the diary itself had so many memories behind it of that time in my life. I wrote lists in there, as well as general everyday journalling and drawings. It was also the time where I had left the younger parts of school and was going into Year Three and Four of primary. Which was the time where the bullying really started to unfold, and as since never stopped.

So, back to the original question, what does journalling mean for us? It's clear what journalling means to sweet Anne, but what does it mean to you? What does it mean to me?

For me, journalling was the friend I never had. Although, I still haven't become completely comfortable in releasing all my inner thoughts. Everything intellectual and philosophical is left inside, and my writing style/creativity is kept closed up in it's box and never develops or improves. It's something I am working on and hope will be fixed some time soon. I guess they're kept inside through fear that someone will read over them. What is left is stuff on boys, the occasional thoughts on depression, and what I did in the day. Yeah, I know, it's not something that'll leave you breathless.

After writing this post, though, I do feel like I should finally start my journalling series I was so keen to make as I quite enjoyed writing this. We should all aspire to write our true selves just like Anne Frank did.
If you've read this far, congratulations.
Thank you - Loz x

No comments:

Post a Comment