Saturday 29 August 2015

The Hype Train: MGS V: The Phantom Pain

Choooo chooooooooo, chugga chugga chugga chugga, wooooohooo... *ding* *ding* *ding*
Chugga.... chugga... chugga... ... chooo.... *screeeeeeeeessss* SHHHSHSSSSSS,

Whoa, what was that noise that just loudly blared in the start of this post? Oh...
It's a new segment called "The Hype Train"! That's right, readers of the blog that are mostly here for Loz and not me, I have created a new segment on the blog dedicated to, you guessed it, HYPE in it's purest form. What might that be, you may be asking yourself, well, UNSTOPPABLE, sorta like a train. And hence, here we are, the beginning of a hype that cannot be stopped until it's reached it's destination; release day! Today, for our first ever HYPE TRAIN, I am going to talk about something that has been awaiting for years to finally be played by the masses; Metal Gear Solid V.

It's a bit of an understatement to explain how purely excited I am, and I want to make this a bit more of a short post, as the BIG one will be hitting this page soon enough, I can assure you of that. I want to get my hands on the game first. I am, however, going to give you a rundown on how I feel and what I'm most excited for! First and foremost, I am PUMPED we are finally getting a finale to the series, the final big mystery in the series will be answered... which is why Big Boss is a fucking nutcase. Now, the gameplay itself is very similar to Peace Walker, which, unpopular opinion inbound, happens to be one of my favorites. I cannot WAIT for the ability to build my own Mother Base and watch it grow with new soldiers. A favorite of mine is the side-ops, and how I'll be able to do those ASIDE from the missions.

Metal Gear is a silly series of games that started out very humble. Kojima himself did almost all the coding of the original games, and to top that off, the very first Metal Gear (Titled just "Metal Gear", released in the late 80's) was supposed to be the only one. At the time, he worked for Konami, and they owned his series. They felt the first sold well, so they decided to make a second game, which was a huge failure and flop, and as such, Kojima felt challenged and angry over this failure of this game. This made him come back to create MG2, which, following the success of THIS game, caused him to create MGS1 (Metal Gear Solid 1), which was also supposed to be his final game. Kojima is a man who has always wanted to let his creation go. He felt as though the series was left good enough where it was, but Konami always convinced him in the long run to make another, and if it wasn't Konami, it was his massive fan following that was growing stronger by the day..

Following the many years of making these games, Kojima and Konami seemed to grow more hostile of each other. With each passing game, he seemed to get more aggressive on his stance on how he wished it was his final game, but I assume he kept making them out of fear that Konami would make the next game and ruin it, which he so very clearly hated. This all came to a crescendo, though, once the series reached it's final game, MGS V. Kojima made it clear this WOULD be his final game, and Konami was all the happy to make it so. It seemed Konami had grown sick of the massive support he had, the loyalty of his production crew "Kojima Productions", and his cult following of fans. They decided that this wouldn't just be his final MGS, but his final game at all for that company. He is to be let go this December, following the release of MGS V. As if that was bad enough, they also canceled his second project he was working on with renowned film director, Del Torro, titled "Silent Hills", a revival of the Silent Hill series.

All the drama aside, Kojima seems very confident in his final game, and I believe he did he best to make it his greatest game of all time, and from the looks of it, that holds very true. All the fans are very excited, I myself know many people who are eagerly waiting for it, co-workers of mine included. MGS started as a small game and grew to one of the biggest of all time. It's left the realm of being "just a game", and has, in my opinion, reached true art form. Sure, the game is silly as all hell, but do you think all artists and actors are all constantly serious? Is a comedy movie immediately not allowed to be a work of art? Can a funny painting not be a good one as well? Needless to say, games in general have come far, and this one in particular has surely helped pave the way. My hype is about as strong as it can get.

I've been replaying Ground Zeroes (the prequel) in order to shake off rust and get ready for the game. I'm going to name my base the "Leaping Lynx", name subject to change at any time. Please, give me your life force energy to keep myself from exploding for the next two days, I'll need it. Also, please send me knowledge, since I'm too dumb to remember how to double space, apparently. I'll be writing a much more comprehensive review/hype explosion as soon as the game is released, lemme know if you want more info on this subject, I might come back and write more on it as I think of what to add!


(Snake had a hard life)


So, follow me if you wish, into the wonderful world of tactical espionage! Don't forget your box!

-Austin

No comments:

Post a Comment