Friday 28 August 2015

Science-Fiction || "Darth Bane: Path of Destruction" by Drew Karpyshyn.


Date Published: June 6th 2007.
Publishers: Del Rey Books.
Book #1 in the "Star Wars: Darth Bane" trilogy. 

"Path of Destruction" is the first novel in the Darth Bane trilogy, from the perspective of the Dark Side. It follows a man named Dessel ('Del') who brings trouble in the small mining planet he is stuck on, paying off the debt his father left him. One day, that trouble causes him to flee...and he joins the Sith. Although warned that the Dark Side will influence him, and he mustn't get caught up in it, the warning is somewhere lost in battle.

Please keep in mind that this is my very first introduction to Star Wars, I have not seen any of the Star Wars movies, so my review on this book will not have any background information and will just be based purely on how I enjoyed this book.

It was written, same as most trilogies, like the introduction to the upcoming two books. It was basically about Darth Bane's rise to power and an opening to the world of the Sith, their rules and their ways of life. Which, by the way, was pretty useful for someone like me who knows next to nothing about the Star Wars world. The most important about this was how it left me dying to read the next book. Seriously, I've been pestering my boyfriend to lend me the next two books for a while now!

The characters were amazing. Even the characters I didn't like, like Sex-Object-Githany, ended up being likeable (as she managed to manipulate and trick multiple Lord's minds), If you want a good example of what I mean when I say good character development, this book is right up there. It ended on a cliffhanger, which is so annoying if you know how much I don't like cliffhangers. But, I think this is a good thing, as I rarely leave the first book of a series on the cusp of my seat waiting until I can get my next fix. That cliffhanger introduced a new character, a female in a high-power position (for once!). I'm dying to read it.

It was really slow in parts, but the fast-paced parts and their brutality really made up for that. One of the reasons I love science-fiction so much is their ability to make brutal scenes really brutal. 

There isn't much I can say about it without giving too much away, so if you enjoyed these, I will see you next time!

- Loz x


No comments:

Post a Comment