Thursday 5 March 2015

Throwback Thursday: Dizzy by Cathy Cassidy


'I never sleep, the night before my birthday . . . it's the only day of the year I hear from her . . .'
Dizzy's mum left when she was small. But every year, on her birthday, something arrives in the post - a present or a card with her mum's loopy writing on it. Dizzy has kept everything.
This year is different. Nothing comes in the post, but something amazing is about to arrive on Dizzy's doorstep. Something that will whisk her away - and put Dizzy's world in a spin.


There wasn't really anything about this book that was amazing, or original, but it left a huge impact on me as a kid. I'm not sure why. I never really had a connection with my father, and I still don't (we don't talk at all, actually) so I found the love between Dizzy and her dad beautiful. 
I've always been interested in the idea of being a traveler (although I can't imagine not showering every day and not having a place for my books, and also how cold it must be during winter, but for a small amount of time in the summer maybe, I would love to at least experience being a traveler)  so that was probably one of the biggest reasons as to why I loved this book so much, along with the Camper Van on the front of the cover. I love Camper Vans!

The relationship between Mouse and his greyhound is actually one of the reasons today as to why I want a greyhound so badly, because of course I adore dogs. It was a beautiful friendship (which did not last, if you read Lucky Star, which follows the life of Mouse after he was taken and in his teenage years. I won't be talking about this in any near future throwbacks, just because it didn't have an impact on me at all, it was one of those books I read maybe once or twice just to know what happened to Mouse and then never picked it back up again). 

I also have such a love of the name Dizzy, so I'm probably going to name my future dog Dizzy. 

I love the strong aspect of nature and freedom and love and family and friendship in this book, the whole story is simply beautiful (although a bit heartbreaking, with all the trauma, to be honest). If you haven't read this book, it doesn't matter if you're 13 or 30, I'm sure you'll still love it regardless. 
Plus, it's nice to read a book about kids that isn't centered around a school.

No comments:

Post a Comment