Sunday 29 March 2015

Story Night: My Job

What's all this? This is a horror tale, that's what. It started out really innocently, like usual, but to get into this story, I need to explain my situation. I have recently in the past two months taken a job working at a home with three autistic people. I generally help with day to day things, making food, cleaning up the house, shopping, giving their medicine (they're resistant at times), and generally just helping out when they need it! 

Now, there have been many people in and out of this house, but I never heard of them, I've only dealt with these three I saw when I first started, and I saw the one who just moved out, not even one day prior, and he lives down the street now. Anyways, I joined the job under the assumption that I would get to work night shifts as well, but first I had to do day shifts to get trained by the other people working there. My training has gone by well enough, several people tell me I'm doing decently good at it. Now, I normally work starting at 3:15pm, for the day shifts. When I get there, there is already one person there. That person gets there at 2:00 to get one of the clients off of the bus when he gets home. And they stay at the home until the rest of us arrive.

Well, I didn't think it'd be difficult or anything, so when I had my first 2:00pm shift, I didn't think anything of it, and wouldn't you guess it? It went by smoothly. I was there for the hour, and people showed up. And I had a few 2pm shifts after that as well, and it all went down the same. Get him off the bus, bring him in, get him a snack, watch some TV, simple and easy. 

However, one day I got there a bit earlier than usual, just to finish some things earlier than I would normally get them done. I wanted the day to go by smoothly. One thing about the client I get off of the bus at 2:15. He cannot speak. He only makes noises, and does gestures to communicate, and that's if you're LUCKY. He laughs too, but that's rarer. Anyways, I get there, and all throughout my time there, I'm hearing noises. Footsteps from upstairs, doors creaking, some VERY quiet giggling, but it sounded close. I am in the house alone. It's 1:50, and the client doesn't get there until 2:10 at the earliest. These noises make no sense, and nobody is home for CERTAIN. I start checking around out of curiosity. Turns out, a broken door that couldn't close, somehow WAS closed, and when I stepped near it, it suddenly decides it wants to open. No windows are open to do this, and the door and hinges are heavy, it NEVER opens on it's own. 

Next, when I went to go do laundry downstairs, I opened the door to the basement, and the light I turned off was turned on again. Didn't think anything of it until all this started happening, but on my way to go downstairs, the phone rings. I answer, and it's just a stupid advertisement. I hang up, and then the client gets home. This is where it really picks up.

I run outside, greet him, and bring him right back inside. Show him his snack and drink, and decide, hey, he's tired, I'll go do laundry finally. As soon as I go down ALL the stairs, my foot leaves the last step, and suddenly, RING RING RING. I run upstairs as quickly as possible, pick it up and say "Hello, (House name), Austin speaking". Nothing but silence for a solid thirty seconds, and I hear near the end of the call, an abrupt breath, and out of fear I hang the phone up. As SOON as I do this, there is loud thumping upstairs, I think that it's the client running upstairs, and I go to get him, but notice he is laying on the couch, just relaxing. My body freezes with fear, while I hear the thumping and then sudden laughing from upstairs. Right when this laugh happens, the client starts laughing. Quietly and in a laugh that sounds NOTHING like his, and then he suddenly says something, and he CANNOT speak, he says something that sounds like "Sasshssa" Then right when this all starts happening, I sit down in a recliner, as I don't know what to do. I can't run away, the client NEEDS me there, I can't even go check the noise, it's too far away from the client. I just sit there, for 15 minutes, all while the noises slowly quiet down. Five minutes of silence, then the rest of my co-workers show up. I tell one of them all about what happened, and he simply laughed and said, "Oh, nobody told you about the weird things here? Think nothing of it, nothing bad comes of it. The guy that used to live in the room of the client that just moved out? A guy lived there around twenty years ago named "Sasha".

And there it was, the word that the client had spoken, at least, as it sounded to me. I wanted to think I imagined all of this, but after hearing him say that, I'm not so sure of that anymore. And I was hoping that would be the end of it, but it certainly wasn't. A few days later, I was doing the night shift, and I was woken up by the sounds of yet more laughter. One of our DEAF clients was upstairs, by himself laughing. And a second voice was laughing with him. There are only three clients in this house, and two staff during overnights. I look, and see my fellow staff member, look to my right and see one of the clients sleeping on the couch, and the second client is in his room on the bottom floor. The deaf client was ALONE. Yet, someone was clearly laughing with him. I went to check on him, and he was in his bed, looked at me, then went back to bed, as if I had ruined what was happening. I went downstairs, and went back to sleep, which took a while out of my fear...


I hope you at least got some interest out of reading this, I now know that noises are rather common at my place of work, and I'm gonna hope they're just that... noises, and that everything else was just coincidence. Thank you for reading!


-Austin

No comments:

Post a Comment