Wednesday 25 March 2015

Amazon Book Wish-List - Part Two

Hello and welcome to yet another way-too-long blog post on my Amazon book wish-list. I realize now as I go through all the books I am going to talk about in this and future posts that there's an awful lot of books I haven't added that I have really wanted to read - for example, if it has anything to do with the holocaust, I will want to read it. I've been meaning to look for more books on the paranormal but until a future post, have some of the more creepy books on my wish-list! 

Doll Bones by Holly Black. 


Zach, Poppy and Alice have been friends forever. They love playing with their action figure dolls, imagining a magical world of adventure and heroism. But disaster strikes when, without warning, Zach's father throws out all his toys, declaring he's too old for them. Zach is furious, confused and embarrassed, deciding that the only way to cope is to stop playing ... and stop being friends with Poppy and Alice. But one day the girls pay Zach a visit, and tell him about mysterious occurrences. poppy swears that she is now being haunted by a china doll - who claims it is made of the ground up bones of a murdered girl. They must return the doll to where the girl lives, and bury it. Otherwise the three children will be cursed for eternity...

This usually wouldn't be my style because a) male narrator and b) china dolls (*coughs* talking to you, Annebelle movie) and therefore there's a huge chance that not only will I not like it and be uncomfortable, but it would be a pretty bad book, anyway - what changed my mind was a favourite booktuber of mine saying she really loved it, despite being a children's book. So, on my wish list it goes with an anxious me waiting in anticipation for the day I finally get it.

The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern. 


The circus arrives without warning. No announcements precede it. It is simply there, when yesterday it was not. Within the black-and-white striped canvas tents is an utterly unique experience full of breathtaking amazements. It is called "Le Cirque des Reves," and it is only open at night.

But behind the scenes, a fierce competition is underway--a duel between two young magicians, Celia and Marco, who have been trained since childhood expressly for this purpose by their mercurial instructors. Unbeknownst to them, this is a game in which only one can be left standing, and the circus is but the stage for a remarkable battle of imagination and will. Despite themselves, however, Celia and Marco tumble headfirst into love - a deep, magical love that makes the lights flicker and the room grow warm whenever they so much as brush hands.

True love or not, the game must play out, and the fates of everyone involved, from the cast of extraordinary circus per-formers to the patrons, hang in the balance, suspended as precariously as the daring acrobats overhead.
 
One of my friends (hi, Dani, if you're reading this) recommended this to me quite the while ago but me being me had completely forgotten about it, and I don't really know how I feel about this book anyway. I'm not one for romance and I absolutely hate sex (the question of asexuality is for another post) and so therefore I want to take caution before I proceed with reading this - the cover also makes it look like it was from a less fortunate time period and I have a lot of empathy, goodness knows if I will actually be okay with that. 

Carrie by Stephen King. 

Ew, movie cover
The story of misfit high-school girl, Carrie White, who gradually discovers that she has telekinetic powers. Repressed by a domineering, ultra-religious mother and tormented by her peers at school, her efforts to fit in lead to a dramatic confrontation during the senior prom

Unpopular opinion alert, but I'm not a huge fan of Stephen King. Despite that, I absolutely loved "Carrie"...I have of course watched all three of the movies and for some reason, have never actually got around to reading the book, probably because it's Stephen King (oddly, I do own several of his books so I'm still going to give him a try regardless)...I never, ever say this but...I hope the book lives up to the expectations I have from the movies. I also usually hate anything to do with high-school, this whole thing is just pushing boundaries for me.

Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn. 


On a warm summer morning in North Carthage, Missouri, it is Nick and Amy Dunne's fifth wedding anniversary. Presents are being wrapped and reservations are being made when Nick's clever and beautiful wife disappears from their rented McMansion on the Mississippi River. Husband-of-the-Year Nick isn't doing himself any favors with cringe-worthy daydreams about the slope and shape of his wife's head, but passages from Amy's diary reveal the alpha-girl perfectionist could have put anyone dangerously on edge. Under mounting pressure from the police and the media--as well as Amy's fiercely doting parents--the town golden boy parades an endless series of lies, deceits, and inappropriate behavior. Nick is oddly evasive, and he's definitely bitter--but is he really a killer?
As the cops close in, every couple in town is soon wondering how well they know the one that they love. With his twin sister, Margo, at his side, Nick stands by his innocence. Trouble is, if Nick didn't do it, where is that beautiful wife? And what was in that silvery gift box hidden in the back of her bedroom closet?

I wasn't going to read this book because again, male narrators (although I think this might just be on the overview of Nick and not straight from his head but I feel uncomfortable with that too, also yes I did forget what person means what) but decided "Hey, what the hell!". The description of 'beautiful wife' makes me feel a bit annoyed, too, simply because (sorry) I much prefer it when a woman is talked about for what she has done and who she is more then what she looks like, and especially compared to Nick's description on the back of the book who's looks aren't even mentioned, I feel like that theme is going to continue throughout the novel and as an angry feminist, I am not looking forward to doing that. 


So today I'm keeping this post four books long instead of five like I had usually planned because I feel like this post is a bit longer then the last already, and also because as I had mentioned at the top, I am all sorts of stressed, anxious and depressed so I don't really feel like pushing myself just to add that one last book, which I hope you can understand. I'll be adding another post after this one explaining a little about my situation and how I'm going to take a small break from blogging (totally contradicting what I originally said, huh?) but more about that when that post gets published. Thank you for taking the time in reading this, and I'll see you next time.


No comments:

Post a Comment