Friday 3 July 2015

June Monthly Book Haul: Part Two: Horror/Thriller.

The photo is missing Carrie because, at the time of the photo taken, I had it in my school bag downstairs and I was exhausted. I thought about re-taking it today but I hate how late I am to publish this haul so fuck it, it's going to get published today. Just know that it was bought, pretend it was there.



 "Finders Keepers" by Stephen King (Mr Mercedes #2) (Unread).

Published in 2015.
ug
My lovely boyfriend bought this for me when he found out that I had the first book of this trilogy but none of the rest - and this was a couple of weeks before I started to see the book everywhere, poor guy! Anyway, this is the only one here that I haven't read, the second book to the "Mr Mercedes" trilogy (which is actually a crime thriller and not about a car like I thought it was...hey, don't judge me like that, it's not like King hasn't written about crazy cars before!). I have no idea what it's about as I don't want to read the back through fear that it will spoil the book but I think it's advancement on a character in "Mr Mercedes".

"Carrie" by Stephen King (Reading).

 Published 1974. 

Pretty sure we all know what the story of "Carrie" is (or you should do, after three movies - I love them all, by the way) but if you don't, it follows the story of Carrie White and her overly religious and abusive mother, Margaret. Carrie has had telekinetic powers since she was tiny, but her traumatic late period triggered it's full power and, perhaps, that's what the power was waiting for. I love love love the movies because of how much I can relate to Carrie (fat and autistic, you can imagine how well that was treated in high school) right down to her weird behavior and physical characteristics in the book - I've only ever managed to read a short bit of it each time because I could never get my hands on a physical copy, but eventually did in a charity shop for £2 (with the beautiful Chloe Grace Moretz on the front...usually don't like movie editions, but it's Chloe).

"The Girl on the Train" by Paula Hawkins (Read).

 Published 2015. 

This follows from different perspectives, but mainly focuses on Rachel - an alcoholic living with a vague friend after her inability to have a baby and the divorce with her husband (Ben), who remarried to a woman named Anna with a baby of their own. She pretends to go to work everyday on the train and looks down at the street where her train stops everyday to look at a 'happy couple' she names Jess and Jason - the same street where Ben and Anna lives, in the house she used to live in. I enjoyed this book. It was slow at the start and is familiar to "Gone Girl" (or so people say, I have never read it and have no plans to) but it caught up. The end was predictable, but I really loved Rachel and Megan and strongly felt their pain - even though everyone in this book seemed to be obsessed with marriage, babies and destruction.

"Creed" by James Herbert (Read but gave up on).

Published 1990.

As much as I enjoyed "The Secret of Crickley Hall" by Herbert, his other books have been nothing but disappointment and this one was no different.  It follows the life of Joe Creed, the paparazzi. Living up to the (mostly correct) stereotype of paparazzi, he is a horrible, hypocritical, sexist, sex-obsessed man who is quite content with ignoring his son and hurting other people. Unlike other characters' you are meant to hate but still feel for, he had nothing I wanted to feel for. Even when the demon wanted to steal his pictures and stole his son, tormented Creed, I felt pretty glad about it and was not so secretly hoping Creed would just die. My guess for what the ending ends up being is that (I guess a spoiler?) the demon was made up by his imagination or something, even though that doesn't make much sense because nothing adds up - I guess I will never know the ending. 

Thank you for reading, please continue on with the haul posts if you are enjoying them, I'll see you in my next one!

Click below for other parts of the haul:

Romance.
YA. 
Historical Fiction. 
Other.  

No comments:

Post a Comment