Thursday 9 July 2015

Bookish Pet Peeves!

I have been thinking a lot about my pet peeves when it comes to books recently because they're really fucking annoying and therefore they refuse to leave my brain and I always find these kinds of posts interesting, so hey, why not? Maybe you can relate to these, maybe you can't, but either way...they really annoy the doodles out of me.

Edit: RAGE!

Number One. 

"Now a moving motion picture!" stickers or whatever the hell they say that you can't remove. Can you not? It completely ruins the cover, but the liklihood is that the cover is already ruined anyway because...

Number Two. 

Book/movie tie-in covers. I am forever grateful that Harry Potter never had that problem, and even though I'm not a huge fan of Divergent and haven't seen the movie, I do like that cover but a majority of the time, unacceptable! 

Number Three. 

I don't even know what they're called but they're usually on the front or back of the cover in quotations, some author or news editor saying some positive feedback on what they thought of the book. Can you keep that inside the pages, if you have to do it all? Please, and thank you. 

Number Four.

When romance overtakes the entire plot. If the book is not specfically about romance, it's not neccesary, and I don't particullary give two craps how hot that guy is or how beautiful that girl is, I want to know more about demons and witches, thank you very much. 

Number Five. 

Book covers with a human on the front. Yes, humans are beautiful, but...I prefer artwork of a human. I think it looks so much better when it's artwork, because that novel is a work of art in itself and it just ruins the cover. 

Number Six. 

I honestly don't mind broken spines, although I try not to do it myself, but I buy a lot of charity books lately and sometimes the spine is so ruined, it's like...how? Did you really need to bend the spine that much, isn't once or twice enough? 

Number Seven. 

"I'm a damsel in distress! Oh, don't worry princess, I'll come and save you!" 
Because the concept of a woman saving herself is just unheard of. 

Number Eight. 

While I'm on that topic, when an author tries to make a posessive and over-obsessed, almost controlling man seem cute because he's "Protecting his woman" or whatever the fuck he's trying to do is just...no. Again, a woman having the ability to control her own life and make her own decisions is clearly not okay. 

Number Nine. 

The topic of mental illness and how it is romantized or simplified in books. As if social anxiety is being cute and shy. Excuse me while I go punch the author in the face and make them do some research. 

Number Ten. 

Instalove.
Need I say anymore?


  I'm going to end this here, it was super long, so I cut it in more or less half so you can look out for a part two published...eventually...I'm really bad at publishing things when I spend ages writing them out, to be honest. 

No comments:

Post a Comment