Friday 3 July 2015

June Monthly Book Haul: Part Three: Historical Fiction

I've only recently got into historical fiction after reading "The Miniaturist" by Jessie Burton (you should read that, but please go into the book knowing that it mostly focuses on the lives of the people in the house and not on the miniaturist itself, otherwise the ending with not much answer will probably disappoint you) and liked it so much that I entered a giveaway for "Penny Heart" and amazingly won it, although I haven't read any of these books so I can't tell you if any of them are any good D:



"Penny Heart" by Martine Bailey (Unread)

Published 2015.
There's not many reviews on this book so I think I might write one when I eventually get round to reading it (probably quite soon) but this is sort of like a crime thriller set in the past and probably involves a lot of domestic abuse as it is the 1900's. Sorry I can't give more then that, I'm a bit confused by the premise of this book but if you want to know more, then read it here on Goodreads

"Before the Fall" by Juliet West (gave up on)

Published 2014. 
Again, not many reviews, so I might write one on this too but I did try to read this, and the huge amount of sexism shown in the first ten pages (although expected for the 1900's during WW1) put me off. It follows the life of a woman named Hannah who, while her husband is away fighting in the war, she is searching for a job and looking after everything (not much different from the modern parent) while falling in love with someone else. All in the title, really.

"The Beekeeper's Apprentice" by Laurie R. King.

Published 1994.
Again, not sure what it's about so you can click here if you want to know more but I think it's like a Sherlock Holmes' retirement, crime detective sort of book (odd amount of books on crime for someone who isn't keen on the genre) that a friend on Goodread's read and really enjoyed so I wanted to give it a try! The cover also looked a lot like "The Great Gatsby", it was beautiful. Yeah, yeah...never judge a book by it's cover but there's no harm in it! 

Other parts in the book haul:
Other.  

Thank you for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment