Wednesday 27 May 2015

May 2015 Book Haul: Xtra - Charity Shops

       

I know, I know, I said in part four I wasn't going to buy more books but I wasn't even intending on going out today - I just didn't want to stay cooped up indoors. I avoided all my favourite bookstores and instead I went to two chairty shops and a bookshop called Victoria Bookshop (I think). 

"Doctor Who: The Feast of the Drowned" by Stephen Cole - hardback, 50p. 
When a naval cruiser sinks in mysterious circumstances in North Sea, all aboard are lost. Rose is saddened to learn that the brother of her friend, Keisha, was among the dead. And yet he appears to them as a ghostly apparition, begging to be saved from the coming feast...the feast of the drowned. 
As the dead crew haunt loved ones all over London, the Doctor and Rose are drawn into a chilling mystery. What sank the ship and why? When the cruiser's wreckage was towed up the thames, what sinister force came with it?
The river's dark waters are hiding an even darker secret, as preparations for the feast near their conclusion... 

I am a huge fan of Doctor Who and, despite my lack of them, quite like science fiction too (I just wish more women were in them without families or marriage). At only 50p, it's the perfect time to try one out, and I believe every book is written by a different author so that's pretty cool too - I am exited to see if I can find new ones in the future. 

"The Twilight Saga: New Moon" by Stephenie Mayer - paperback, movie cover, 50p. 
I knew we were both in mortal danger. 
Still, in that instant, I felt well. Whole. 
I could feel my heart racing in my chest, the blood pulsing hot and fast through my veins again. 
My lungs filled deep with the sweet scent that came off his skin. 
It was like there had never been any hole in my chest. 
I was perfect - not healed, but as if there had never been a wound in the first place. 

Now. When i was fourteen, I loved the movies and the books. I had the DVD's, but now I only have part one of breaking dawn, and I had all the non-movie cover editions too but I thought since everyone else hated them, I didn't want to be different and gave them all away and deeply regret this decision. I was thinking lf rebuying them anyway, but I can live with a cheap movie cover for now (forever grateful Potter books never had movie covers). 

"Every Second Counts" by Sophie McKenzie, Book 2, Victoria Bookshop, £5. 
Outlawed teenagers Charlie and Nat are on the run, falsely accused of terrorism and kidnapping. With few people they can trust, they are desperete to bring down their accusers and return to their former lives. But time is running out. 
Charlie has a plan that might just save them - but it will only work if she goes it alone. 
Could being together be more dangerous then being apart? 

Before I went a little crazy and deleted so many posts, I wrote a review for the first book and said now eager I was to get the second because the covers matched so beautifully I couldn't not have it and boom, found it! I have been unable to buy anything online due to having no card so it was a book I was eager to get and am glad I didn't buy it on Amazon when I could as I got it cheaper today!

Lastly, but hopefully not least: 

"The Devil Wears Prada" by Louise Weisberger - movie cover, paperback, 50p.  
High fashion, low cunning - and the boss from hell. 
When Andrea first sets foot in the plush Manhatten offices of Runway she knows nothing. She's never heard of the world's most fashionable magazine, or it's feared and fawned-over editor, Miranda Priestly. 
Soon she knows way too much.
She knows it's a sacking offence to wear less then a three-inch heel to work - but there's always a fresh pair of Manolos in the accessories cupboard. 
She knows that eight stone is fat. That you can charge anything - cars, manicures, clothes - to the Runway account, but you must never leave your desk, or let Miranda's coffee get cold. That at 3am, when your boyfriends dumping you because you're always working and your best friend's just been arrested, if Miranda phones with her latest unreasonable demand, you jump. 
Most of all, Andrea knows that Miranda is a monster boss who makes Cruella de Vil look like a fluffy bunny. But this is her big break, and it's all going to be worth it in the end. 
Isn't it? 

This was one of my favourite movies as a kid, and I still love it today (despite not being interested in fashion), and even though I was interested in the book, I had no plans to actually go out and buy it. Till today, that is. I'm so eager to read it, in fact, it might be next weeks Monday Mission. 

I don't see the point in doing one for Harry Potter because everyone knows what it's about and if you don't, you should, but it's a hardback first edition copy and on the inside, the two books after it aren't even there because they haven't been published yet, how cool is that?!? I also bought "All I Know Now" by Carrie Hope Fletcher, but I'm going to be talking about that in the book discussion/review when I finish it in a lot more detail and...to be honest, couldn't be bothered taking the photo and writing about it here, in my wrap up and the the review, haha.

Thank you so, so much for reading as always. I do hope you habe enjoyed this lengthly series of book hauls and I'll see you next time, bye! 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment