Tuesday 26 May 2015

May 2015 Book Haul: Part Four.



Finally, you say! We have reached the last post of my May Haul (and if you see a post following this one called the same thing but instead of having a part, it says Xtra, you know my buying books for this week has failed, but this is meant to be the last part!) 

"The Twins" by Saskia Sarginson. 
Isolte and Viola are twins. 
Inseparable as chirldren, they've grown into very different adults: Isolte, a successful features writer for a fashion magazine; and Viola, desperetly unhappy and struggling with a lifelong eating disorder. 

What happened all those years ago to set the twins on such different paths to adulthood? As both women start to unravel the esculating tragedies of a half-remembered summer, terrifying secrets from the past come rushing back - and threaten to overwhelm their adult lives...

What first caught my eye with this book was the beautiful cover and how it feels different (kinda a rough and tough texture, weird for a paperback) but the eating disorder really sealed the deal for me. I have always had an interest in eating disorders and first started research on the topic when I was thirteen and I feel like not enough women and men are educated on the subject so I want to be one of the people who do, even though I have never had one. 

"The kite runner" by Khaled Hosseini. 
Afghanistan, 1975: twelve-year-old Amir is desperete to win the local kite-fighting tournament and his loyal friend Hassan promises to help him. But neither of the boys can foresee what will happen to Hussan that afternoon, an event that is to shatter their lives. After the Russians invade and the family is forced to flee to America, Amir realises that one day he must return to Afghanistan under Taliban rule to find the one thing the world cannot grant him: redemption. 

This is a book that has been on my Amazon book wishlist for quite some time, so I'm glad I found it in a discount bookstore. I've heard mixed reviews on this book but, especially with all the racism in the news lately, I thought I would educate myself on the world around me. This might not be based on actual events in the world or the past, but it might give me an idea on what is happening in places I can't see. 

"Talon" by Julie Kagawi. 
'There are a dozen soldiers hiding in that maze. All hunting you. All looking to kill you'
To the ouside world, Ember Hill is an ordinary girl, but Ember has a deadly secret. A dragon hiding in human form, she is destined to fight the shadowy Order of St.George, a powerful society of dragonslayers. 
St.George soldier Garret is determined to kill Ember and her kind. Until her bravery makes him question all he has been taught about dragons. 
Now a war is coming and Garret and Ember must choose their sides -fight to save their bond or fulfil their fate and destory one another. 

This was very much an impulse by, but the cover and the general human-but-actually-a-dragon plotline had me reeled in. I've heard some mixed reviews about this book, but in general I'm quite exited to read it - a shame this is not a standalone, because it will take me a while to get the second if it's good enough for me to want to continue the saga. 

"Hollow Earth by John and Carole.E.Barrowman (yes, John as in actor who was in Doctor Who and yes, Carole as in his wife I think)
Twins Matt and Emily Calder have imaginations so powerful that they can make art come to life. Their powers are sought by villians intent on accessing the terrors of Hollow Earth - a place where all the devils, demons and monsters have imagined lie trapped for eternity. If Hollow Earth is breached, the world will be plunged into chaos. If Hollow Earth is breached, the twins are as good as dead. 

Possibly surprising to some, but I did not pick this up because of John Barrowman and my love for Doctor Who - at the time, I was rushed, and even though the name triggered a memory in my mind somewhere, I couldn't remember what it was. I just have an interest in the power of imagination (and art, hence Dorian Gray), so picked it up on impulse, the same time I got Talon and Over You. When I get round to reading it, you'll know in my Monday Missions/wrap ups so I can write a review, because I too am curious about Barrowman's writing style. 

"City of Heavenly Fire" by Cassandra Claire. 
Sebastian Morgenstern is on the move, systematically turning Shadowhunter against Shadowhunter. When one of the greatest betrayals the Nephilim have ever known is revealed, Clary, Jace, Isabelle, Simon and Alec must flee - even if their journey takes them deep into the demon realms...love will be sacrificed and lives lost. 

The first three books I actually quite liked, even if I much preferred Simon over Jace as I have no attraction towards the bad boy type, but as the series went on I found I wanted to read less and less of the story. I didn't even finish the second to last book, but picked the last book up anyway as I wanted to give it another shot and re-read it again. I felt like there wasn't enough mystery or suspence to want me to keep reading, and plus, it was on sale anyway. 


We have reached the end! Thank you SO MUCH for reading, especially if you got this far, and don't hesitate to let me know what you thought about it or the books I picked up. Sorry for any spelling errors, I have been so tired lately and if you click on the tabs above, you'll find a link to my second blog where I am doing a picture a day challenge for a year, so if you'd like to join or be a bit nosy, please go visit it! Thank you again, peace out!  

No comments:

Post a Comment