Tuesday 5 May 2015

Book Review: "It's not me, it's you" by Mhairi McFarlane (spoilers)


How do you start again when everything falls apart?
When Delia's life is turned inside out - from a disastrous proposal to resignation-worthy team-building exercises - moving to a new city looks like the answer. But this has its own measure of problems, and Delia finds herself in a distinctly shady job where telling the truth seems to be entirely optional. As an investigative journalist starts digging, Delia must ask herself where her loyalties lie - and if this life is truly better than the one she left behind. 
A moving, hilarious and insightful tale that questions what you do when your life is broken: do you try to put the pieces back where they were, or build something new? 

The first thing I have to say about this book is that it's a romantic comedy - something that I don't usually go for. This book reminded me why, but not entirely in a bad way. You see, I always see romantic comedy's that are just one giant cliche. They're usually about a woman (sometimes attractive, usually they're typically not) in her thirties, mid-thirties, going through some life crisis and talking about how their biological clock is ticking and how they just want to jump right in with someone and make a family - something, of which, I would never relate to so that's one downside. Delia was no exception. It related to Bridget Jones so, so much - they met someone they hated but grew to love, they first had a relationship with an asshole so they could compare the asshole to the nice guy, they for some reason kept going back to said asshole as if nice guy was naturally repelling (as a feminist, this sentence would never usually leave my mouth apart from in this occasion, only because this time, he was actually a nice guy) and that frequent feel of messing up a lot and wanting to have babies before "time went out". 

Also, despite this being listed under "feminist" in the Goodreads section, it didn't have many ideals of feminism in there. The again, I'm eighteen, never had a proper job, and the idea of being a housewife makes me want to run to the nearest, deepest cave and never emerge again - so the connection I will have to a thirty year old woman who is quite the opposite to me was simply not there. 
The relationship between Adam and Delia was not believable to me ... to begin with. It started of as anger, and only when Emma commented on the "sexual tension" that was in the air did I feel like that was what I was supposed to be reading from the pages. It wasn't until the ending that I really loved their relationship, but that connection I didn't feel from them and I don't think they'll last - have a couple kids by accident, marry because of said kids, then divorce because they're not right for each other. Although, of course this is just my personal opinion on that subject. I would comment about her running back to Paul three different occasions but, I mean...I feel there's no need. She was highly stupid at the end but I'm glad she made the right decision eventually. 

Even though in this review I have done nothing but criticize, I actually quite liked the book - Naan (Joe) being my favorite character of all of them. It was funny, and entertaining, and I found myself wanting to pick the book back up in the middle of my English lessons at school to read it some more - it got more gripping the more the book went on (even though it was a really long book) and I think, despite my original rating for this book, I will give it a 3.5 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment