Monday 25 May 2015

Monday Missions #2

So really, I should be reading the next book in the "Gone" series called "Hunger" but that book is quite heavy on the brain and emotions (more on that when I eventually upload the review) so I've decided to wait this week until starting it. Instead, we are going to go with much lighter alternatives and I think I'm going to aim for three books this week. Even though I have been reading as slow as a snail lately, and it's 9pm as I write this and I haven't read a book all day, I think two is a good option as the other two I could just breeze through. Anyway, without more rambling, my picks for this week:



"You Had Me At Hello" by Mhari McFarlane. 

Rachel and Ben. Ben and Rachel. 
It was them agaisnt the world. Until it fell apart. 
It's been a decade since they last spoke, but when Rachel bumps into Ben one rainy day, the years melt away. 
They'd been partners in crime and the best of friends. 
But it's clear that life has moved on. Ben is married. Rachel is not. 
Yet in that split second, Rachel feels the old friendship return. 
And along with it, the broken heart she's never been able to mend. 

As I didn't know but was said in the first page, this book is McFarlane's first book, however I had read "It's not me, it's you" beforehand and enjoyed it so much, I would not mind giving her another go (although buying another book by her was a mistake, I had seen it around and had a catchy cover so I picked it up without really reading it and noticed oh, it's her!). She had some flaws in her second book, but I am still quite interested in what other stories she can produce. 

"Angus, thongs, and full-frontal snogging" by Louise Renninson. 

There are so many things very wrong with my life. 
The boy I like hates me and prefers a wet weed with sticky out ears. 
My so-called 'pet', Angus, just spat at me. 
I have a three-year-old sister who may have peed somewhere in my room. 
I went to a party dressed as a stuffed olive. 

Another romance book, yes. For someone who doesn't really like romance, I am starting to realize I actually do, but the romance in YA dystopian novels (to me) is somewhat forced and uncomfortable, therefore making me believe I didn't like romance. It also took the spotlight of the action in the books and makes them a whole lot less enjoyable. However, when you read a book that's soley about romance, I found them interesting and very much enjoyable. So, I guess it depends what type of romance, really. I know these books are full of teenage angst but I found them funny as a kid so I hope to find them just as funny now. 

"Hatchet" by Gary Paulson. 

Thirteen-year-old Brian Robeson is on his way to visit his father when the single-engine plane in which he is flying crashes. Suddenly, Brian finds himself alone in the Canadian wilderness with nothing but a tattered windbreaker and the hatchet his mother gave to him as a present - and the dreadful secret that has been tearing him apart since his parents' divorce. But now Brian has no time for self-pity, anger or despair - it will take all his know-how and determination, and more courage he knew he possessed, to survive. 

According to Austin, a lot of American students might already be strongly familar with this book, but I had not heard about it until my favourite gaming YouTuber Stacyplays had featured the book in one of her MC series, and usually I don't buy the books she mentions but this one had be interested. It's a very short read so I doubt it will take me long to get through, and I am very exited to do so. 

That's all I have for this weeks Monday Missions! Remember to check out my picture a day challenge on my second blog, link is in the tabs above, and look out for a monthly book haul and wrap up coming this week as we see the end of the month, thank you so much for reading and I'll see you all soon, bye! 

No comments:

Post a Comment