Sunday 7 June 2015

Monday Missions #4


I am doing pretty well with my reading so far, and now all I want to do is read so I have full confidence that three of these will be finished by the end of the week! I am so majorly exited for all of them, you guys have no idea. 

Currently reading - "Sweet Temptation" by Lucy Diamond. 

Maddie's (Dance Moms fans, anyone?) getting it from all sides. 
Her bitchy boss at the radio station humilates her live on air, her glamour-puss mum keeps dropping hints that she should lose weight (like signing her up for the gym) and her kids are embarassed to be seen with her after the disastrous mums' race at their sports day. Something's got to change...
Maddie relucantly joins the local weight-watching group where she finds two unlikely allies:
Jess, who is desperete to fit into a size ten wedding dress for her Big Day, and Lauren, who, despite running a dating agency, has signed off romance for ever. Or so she thinks...

I only read 42 pages of this last night and I am hooked! Even writing this makes me want to stop what I'm doing and jump right back into it - Lucy's (or Sue) writing style is so wonderful and relaxing, much more light hearted then what I have been reading recently! 

"Lies" by Michael Grant (book #3)
Tensions are growing in the FAYZ. The mutants are under attack. Sam's gone AWOL. 
At night, a solitary figure roams the streets - the ghost of a boy with a whip hand, haunting the dreams of those he has tormented. Then the town is deliberately set on fire, and through the flames Sam sees the figure he dreads the most - Drake. But that's impossible, Drake is dead. 

I, too, am terrified of Drake and therefore reading this book is exiting, yet daunting, to me (hence why I have a week long break after reading one book before I move on to the next). Any scene that involves the sadistic mind of Drake is bound to be the main cause of my sudden nausea. Netherless, we will plow through...any little hint of paranormal themes is bound to have me hooked! 

"Before I fall" by Juliet West. 
1916. Across the channel, the Great War rages; in London's East End, with her husband away fighting, Hannah Loxwood struggles to hold everything together. She has sacrificed so much for a husband who left her behind, a husband who may never come home. Then, when she meets Daniel - thoughtful, intellegent, quietly captivating - Hannah finds herself faced with the most dangerous of temptations...
As the war grips tighter and bombs fall down upon the streets, the stakes for the couple grow even higher. Soon, Hannah and Daniel will realize just how precarious their happiness is, as their destiny rushes towards them. 

Despite having great interst in WW2 (especially the Holocaust), I have never read a book about WW1 - especially seeing as it's before the time women could legally vote, I know there's going to be not very subtle sexism in here, but at least I'm aware of it before I read it. I am curious to see how feminism makes an appearance in this, if it does at all, but this is my extra book that will be read next week if not this week! 

"The Girl on the Train" by Paula Hawkins. 
To everyone else in this carriage I must look normal; I'm doing exactly what they do; comitting to work, making appointments, ticking things off lists. 
Just goes to show. 

This has a much longer description avaliable inside the hardcover dustjacket, but I would rather go in blindly than know more about it. I have heard so much hype surrounding this book, both positive and negative, so I thought I would just go ahead and read it anyway seeing as it was really cheap at my local supermarket. 

Thank you so much for reading, what are you reading this week?   

No comments:

Post a Comment