Monday 22 June 2015

Book Review: All I Know Now by Carrie Hope Fletcher



This book, man...this book. Sure, this book was meant to be read by teenagers still in high school/secondary school but that never stopped me from loving it. Carrie, labelled as the "honorary big sister" of YouTube and wise beyond her years, wrote a book on her life experiences and advice she can give learnt from these experiences. If it wasn't for Emma Blackery's review on this book, I would never have picked it up, I didn't watch her YT channel and had no intention to. To me, she was just another YouTuber writing a book for money, no big deal.

That was, until I saw it for cheap at my local supermarket and the book was so pretty that I just could not give up the chance to buy it - even if I hated it, the hardcover without the dustjacket would look fantastic among my collection of books. 

Like Emma says, she speaks throughout this book like she knows you, like she's your friend, like she really understands and isn't just sprouting cliche bullshit you've heard a hundred times before (although, it did happen occasionally, like with "tell a parent or guardian when you're being bullied", whereas my advice would have been to reasonably stand up for yourself...but, that is just difference in opinion and not an actual flaw). There was many parts of this book I could relate to, even though I am almost nineteen years old, and the whole talking-like-she's-your-buddy thing annoyed me at first but then I warmed up to it. 
 
She handled dark topics really, really well and made me feel so much better about what I have been through - knowing I was not alone and if someone like Carrie was bullied, there's clearly nothing much wrong with me and the problem lies heavily in their shoulders. 
 
Not to mention the layout, like a play script (she plays a lead role in Les Mis in the West End), and all those cute little drawings!
 
This is a must have for anyone starting high school, in high school or even leaving to do higher education - it has some valuable information in it that I feel like it needs to be shared with the world. You can honestly see throughout the whole thing how this was not a publicity thing or a money thing, she loves to read and write (like me!) and wanted to do it, from her heart. It really shows. 
 
Have a good day! - Loz.

No comments:

Post a Comment