Sunday 1 May 2016

The Goodreads Book Tag


I know this book tag is an old one but I really felt like doing one, now I'm in the reading habit and I'm not really up to much today but crying in my pillow and watching more of American Horror Story: Coven and maybe later today some Legend of Korra: Change We'll see how this day progresses. Also, my brother is coming home today as he was six yesterday and he went to see his father but he still has some presents from me and my sister to open and I'm exited for that - as exited as a depressed person can be. With that rambling being said, lets get into the book tag. 

1. What was the last book you marked as 'read'?


If you read my previous post, you'll know I wasn't hugely fond of this book - it was a good book, but doesn't live up to the hype and has undertones of sexism. Otherwise, I enjoyed it. 


2. What are you currently reading?


This book is the first in a series (which I just found out) about an old man called Harold Fry living with his wife, Maureen, in a troubled and unhappy relationship. They have an adult child together called David. One day, Harold receives a letter from his old pal Queenie who is dying of cancer. Harold writes a letter back but instead of posting it through the post box, he keeps walking and walking and pilgrimages across England to get to Queenie. 
Its so far very humorous and melancholic, the writing style is so gripping and it makes the book really hard to put down - if I wasn't so preoccupied with other things, I would have already finished it by now. It's a beautifully written tale, so far. 

I don't even want to attempt to explain what this book is about, but because it's a very common book there's quite a strong chance that you already know what it's about or have already read it. it's basically about a house that's bigger on the inside then it is on the outside, and an old man who wrote a project based on it, and other people who discover this. It's complicated, and written in a strange way, and it's such a big book that it may take me a while to get through. I don't like giving up, so I will push on. 

I don't want to say what this book is about in too much detail as it is the second book in a series, but it continues on with the tale of Darth Bane and the Sith, as well as the Old Republic, and if you love the dark side's perspective in books and Star Wars then you'd love this series. It's action packed and awesome. I lost the book, so it's taking me a while to read this because well...hard to read a book you don't currently have. 


3. What was the last book you marked as 'TBR'?


I don't use my TBR list on Goodreads, but the next book I plan to get to is "The Kite Runner" of the author, I have forgotten. I've heard it's wonderfully sad and hard to get into, so I've put it off but recently felt compelled to get to it. 


4. What book do you plan to read next?


As other books I have on my TBR pile is "Life of Pi", the rest of the Infernal Devices trilogy, some vampire books...I have quite a lot of books I plan to read next, but it's a mystery to see which ones I will actually get to. 


5. Do you use the star rating system?


Yes, and if you want to know how I use the star rating system please click on the tab above that says "Book Ratings". 


6. Are you doing a 2016 Reading Challenge?


This originally said 2014 as this is quite an old tag but I really wanted to do one. I am currently doing a 2016 book challenge, which is thirty books. Last years was fifty, and I didn't manage to do that so I thought I would take it easy this year and not push myself too much. I have more work to be getting on with next year, so I'll probably be reading even less in 2017.


7. Do you have a wishlist?


Yes, my wishlist I store in Amazon and lately have frequently added to it. 


8. What book do you plan to buy next?


"Shatter me" by Tahereh Mafi" as I have a really good, close friend (who wrote this book) that talks quite often about how she loves this book. My favourite BookTuber, Whitney, also speaks highly of this book. I am aware that this book has a lot of similarities to every other YA book series, but so did The Maze Runner trilogy and I absolutely adored that. 

I have also recently read a small first few pages of "The Vegetarian" by Han Kang and found it so interesting that I really feel quite compelled to purchase it. 


9. Do you have any favorite quotes, would you like to share a few?


"Then the cloud became suffused with a dulled pink, as if those vibrant colours had bled through, merging as they met. He couldn't move. He wanted to witness every change. The light on the land was gold; even his skin was warm with it. At his feet the earth creaked and whispered. The air smelled green and full of beginnings. A soft mist rose, like wisps of smoke. Harold was so tired he could barely lift his feet, and yet he felt such hope, he was giddy with it. If he kept looking at things that were bigger than himself, he knew he could make it to Berwick" - The Unlike Pilgrimage of Harold Fry. 


10. Who are your favourite authors?


James Dashner. J.K.Rowling. I couldn't really pinpoint anybody in particular, there isn't really an author I read every book from and there isn't really anybody I highly anticipate. 


11. Have you joined any groups?


No, I don't really know how to get into it. 

12. Are there any questions you would like to add?

Do you add books to your to-read list that you already own or have in your possession, or do you add ones that you really want to read? 

Thank you very much for reading this book tag and if you've already done this then please link it to me as I'd love to read it, or if you want to do it then go ahead and do it. 

Loz x

No comments:

Post a Comment