Wednesday 15 April 2015

Book Review: The Worst Thing About My Sister by Jacqueline Wilson. (contains spoilers)


Yes, I know, this is a child's book and I'm an eighteen year old adult but hey, things meant for children often help me with my extreme anxiety so I thought I would give this book a go. In case you are considering getting this for your niece/nephew, daughter/son, etc, then please do read on! 

THE WORST THING ABOUT MY SISTER. 
 
1. She's super-duper girlie and prissy and pink. YUCK! 
2. She always tells on me when we have a fight. 
3. She stole my special night with Dad, even though everyone knows Toy Story 3 and chips are MY favourites. 
4. She laughs at my animals - even though she can't go to sleep without her Baba! 
5 - She NEVER sticks up for me. 
 
 It's quite unusual, I feel, for Wilson to write about a book where siblings are not the best of friends and instead are written as the worst enemies. This is about a girl called Marty, who I'm guessing is about nine or ten, and her older sister, Melissa, who I'm guessing is twelve although they appear to go to the same school, so maybe younger, it was never specified. When Marty attends a party in her mothers' homemade dress, she becomes popular meaning she needs a room for where she sows and keeps the dresses - Marty loses her Marty Den and moves in with Melissa.

Speaking of their mother, she was the worst kind of person I would ever have the misfortune to meet. She often does something I am strongly against, and that's gender role-ing. She stays firm on the idea that girls should wear dresses, smell of roses and sweets and be covered in pink, and that girls have to be a good role model for everyone else and always behave well and not act like themselves just to please other people and that girls can't have a job that is not traditional...she also cared way too much about what other people thought of her and that was often more important then her own daughters' feelings. Boys, though, they could do whatever they wanted. Even though people like her exist in the universe, I like to think they're a rare kind of parent and it made her situation worse then what it could have been.

It also hits other topics like bullying as well as feminism, and how you should tackle them. Like Wilson, I am a firm believer in that you can't ignore people who hurt you or make you feel like less of a person or make your life much harder then it should be. Marty, instead of ignoring them like most people would tell you to do, threw eggs at her bullies (don't worry, it's followed by a rant by how this is dangerous and harmful but it has a good message). 

It also says that even though the relationship with your sister is a rough one, you wouldn't be without them as the harsh ending had explained. 

As always, Wilson has written yet another (although short) quality book that I recommend if you wanted to buy for a child you know or even yourself if you're anything like me and find a guilty pleasure in enjoying these kinds of things. I'll give this a five out of five as I can't really fault it, and I'll see you next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment