Sunday 1 January 2017

2017 Goals/Resolutions (quite a long post, sorry)

I can't say I have ever, once, in my entire short life of making goals and resolutions stuck with those goals and resolutions. It just feels productive and fun to make them though, doesn't it? Every year, I manage to stick to them for at least a couple of weeks into January and sometimes even into February but by March it definitely falls flat. Instead of picking it back up again, I just give up and make new small goals to work on that also ultimately fail! As far as production value goes, 2016 has probably been my worst year yet - although, saying that, I am doing pretty well with work for my Level 2 course at college and that was one of the goals I made myself halfway through the year! 

1. Pay Some Attention to CrankyAutistic! 


An overview of this blog for 2016 is that I only posted 34 times throughout the entire year, which is appalling! Hardly any work has been thrown into this at all. I believe a big reason for that has probably been the fact that I started college and I've had a bit of a social life, at least earlier on in the year I did. I won't let myself off too much, though, because I have had time to post and, like I have time to do assignments, I just decide to do other non-productive things instead! 

As a quick overview of the kind of posts I did and how much of a failure I've been concerning the blog:

January - light-hearted posts (toy collecting, picture everyday)
Febuary - hauls and tags, Marfan Syndrome awareness post 
March - A post about difficulties with writing
April - Goals I wanted to make for the rest of the year 
May - Depression post, lot of book posts. 
June - Orlando shooting post, book summary.
August - Comic book/graphic novel review and a movie review 
October - sexual health clinic experience and disliking some men.
November/December - mental health and contraception overviews. 

I think I slowly went into talking more about topics that matter, such as raising awareness for syndromes other people might not have heard about before. I used to write about hauls and things and although I really like to show other people what I bought in hopes other people might be interested (people I know rarely are) I started to come to the conclusion I was not enjoying it that much. It just wasn't interesting me, I'm sure it wasn't interesting any readers, and I think I've given that up the time being. That may be why you didn't see a Christmas haul post from me this year! Don't think I've done of those in a while, actually. I may have deleted the one I did in 2015 because it doesn't exist anymore if I ever did write it.

I started to be more open about my life, sexually and mentally mostly. I don't like how they are taboo subjects and, especially with the death of mental health advocate Carrie Fisher, I don't want to be silent about it and make it seem like it's something I am embarrassed or ashamed of. I'm not sure how to talk about them but I want all the highs and lows out there for the world to try to understand. 

I also think it's important to talk about things like feminism, syndrome awareness, etc. I don't like just talking about make-up or books, even though I will still post about them because I love them. Especially books. They're not the sort of things I usually read about, though, nor my favourites to write about. 

I will try to aim for one blog post a week. It will probably come out on a Sunday every week. That just seems more manageable. The topic will be anything I want it to be about. If I decide to do a picture-everyday, I'll probably post them up here or on my personal Facebook. If I do post them here, then you'll be getting a blog post everyday (or I might take the picture and decide to write the posts later on days where I can't write) as well as the extra post on Sunday. That sounds like a little too much to me, but it wouldn't be a challenge if it was easy. We'll see what happens in the new year. It'll be a surprise for us both. 

2. Drink More Water 


I currently drink up to 4 cans of Coke per day and I very rarely ever drink water. It makes me sick quite often, as you can imagine, and I think it's pure luck I still have my teeth and my kidneys. Well, actually one of my teeth started to fall apart and I am still waiting on that dentist appointment. That should have been enough of a warning for me to stop and take a step back! 

I'm not sure how I will achieve this. I think I will buy a water bottle, that would be a good start, and tell myself to drink a certain amount of water bottle measurements everyday. I might add some fruit to make it taste a bit better but I can't continue the way I am! 

3. Eat Smaller Portions/Eat More Fruit & Veg 


I stopped believing in diets long ago when all they ever seemed to do was make me gain weight. Instead, I am doing something different and that is just eating less instead of these massive portions of fried food and greasy goodness. I'll add some more colour to my plate! I'll try to snack on fruit instead of crisps and chocolate and whatever is in our cupboards like Pot Noodles. I'll talk more in depth about my weight problems another day (probably my post for next Sunday) but it's something I really need to start considering making a change on and soon. 

4. Read More 


It may have seemed like I read a lot this year but a lot of it was just filler stuff, like comic books. I'm not saying reading comics are a bad thing and I am certainly going to continue reading them if I can find somewhere to read them again but I am reading less and less. I have seemed to have given up on reading young adult fiction because of their lack of diversity, promotion of abusive relationships and their cliches after cliches. I have started reading things I wouldn't normally read, like the first book of Game of Thrones that I actually quite enjoyed, and I think I might dedicate my evenings shortly before I go to bed to reading a chapter or two. I might actually find it quite calming, who knows. 

5. Spend Less Time on Social Media 


I am extremely active on social media. I go to the toilet and spend ten minutes scrolling down a social media app. I am constantly attached to my phone and feel aggravated and nervous without it. Whenever I try to spend an hour not on it I get nervous. I spend less time reading probably because of social media. I rarely do anything outside of a laptop or a phone. I have a puzzle I have not touched. I have music I never just sit down and listen to. I have a room to clean. Journals I could write in. Drawing I could be doing. Self-improvments of any kind that don't involve spending all my time attached to devices. 

These are all the goals I plan to have for now. Like last year, I am probably going to post about some new goals I want to add when I give up on these ones! I'll try to remember to update you on how they are going, especially concerning weight loss and healthy living because it's something really important that I feel is better done together. I would love to know what you plan on accomplishing for the new year and I'll see you next Sunday. 

No comments:

Post a Comment